Irish Chancery Project
The Calendar of Irish Chancery Letters (CIRCLE) project aims to reconstruct the lost records of the Irish chancery which were destroyed in a fire in June 1922. It provides researchers with an accessible and accurate summary in English of letters that were issued under the great seal of Ireland and enrolled in the Irish chancery rolls between the reigns of Henry III and Henry VII.
The Irish Chancery Project was carried out at the Research Centre for Medieval History, Trinity College Dublin and funded by the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and the Social Sciences (IRCHSS).
The main aims of the project in terms of technical development were to:
- Migrate over 20,000 records from a MS Access database to Drupal.
- Provide advanced search functionality, along with a custom Letter Locator search function.
- Integrate with the Zoomify application in order to display photographs of the original records in high resolution.
- Allow users to create accounts on the site so they can leave feedback and add private notes.
- Re-implement the existing design as a Drupal theme, incorporating the TCD banner.
The site's launch was covered on Morning Ireland and in the Irish Times.
- data migration
- site building
- custom development